Director of Undergraduate Programs
145 New Cabell Hall
To meet the prerequisites of the Studies Minor, the student must have completed at least one of the following options:
- Option 1: Completion of an Elementary level (1010/1020) Middle Eastern (Arabic, Hebrew, Persian) or South Asian (Hindi, Urdu, Sanskrit) language with a grade of C or better in each semester.
- Option 2: At least Elementary level proficiency in a Middle Eastern (Arabic, Hebrew, Persian) or South Asian (Hindi, Urdu, Sanskrit) language as determined by the successful completion of a placement test. Contact the appropriate language coordinator for details.
A total of six courses (18 Credits) focusing on one regional concentration of the student's choice (Middle East or South Asia).
- 3 courses (9 Credits) must be concentration courses in MESALC or any other department.
- 1 course (3 Credits) must be a non-language MESALC course.
- 2 courses (6 Credits) of the student's choice, from regionally appropriate courses.
- Language courses may be used to satisfy these 6 Credits only if the course is beyond the 2020 level.
- No more than 9 Credits can be from any one department outside of MESALC.
- No more than 6 Transfer Credits can be used to satisfy the 18 Credit requirement.
Declaring a Minor
- Select a region of concentration (Middle East or South Asia).
- Review course listings by area (Middle East, South Asia) and the minor requirements of your concentration (listed above). The minor requirements can also be found on the Minor Declaration Form.
- Download the Minor Declaration Form here. A hard copy of the form is also available on the MESALC department bulletin board on the first floor of New Cabell Hall. Or use this link to fill out the electronic form via Docu-sign https://college.as.virginia.edu/forms.
- Complete the top portion of the Minor Declaration Form.
- Make an appointment with the Director of Undergraduate Programs, listed below.
- Bring the Minor Declaration Form to your meeting with the advisor.
- Submit copies of the form to the appropriate parties (as indicated on the bottom of the form).
“The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at http://records.ureg.virginia.edu/index.php.”